Trekking in Nepal’s far-western Upper Dolpo region takes you into one of the most remote areas of the Himalaya. Expeditions into Dolpo can be challenging as the tourism infrastructure is almost non-existent, and organized tours are essential.
Upper Dolpo is a paradise unexplored. Nature rewards this isolated western part of Nepal with exceedingly amazing landscapes and serene beauty that resemble the ones of Roof of the world- Tibet.
This Upper Dolpo trek is one of the most challenging treks in Nepal. There are few hotels and lodges on this trekking route. We will reach a height of up to 5350 m at Nangdala Pass. The trail is remote, and you pass by rugged terrain. Therefore, trekkers must be physically and mentally prepared for this 26-day Dolpa trek.
This Upper Dolpa region lies in the rain shadow area of Nepal. Thus, early monsoon times of May, June, and July are the best time for trekking. We need a special trekking permit for the restricted region of Dolpo Valley.
Upper Dolpo is still considered a restricted area and requires a special permit.
- Explore the mesmerizing Shey Phoksundo Lake, which is crucial for its crystal clear water and turquoise shape.
- A unique camping experience together with the various landscapes of the area and its hidden treasure.
- Buddhist holy places Crystal Mountain and Shey Gompa observe the unique Bon Buddhist culture.
- High passes over 5000 meters of extraordinary mountain views, meet locals, and visit monasteries.
- Visit the medieval village of Saldang and the nomad camps at Dho Tarap, the highest human settlement in the world.
- Explore diverse flora and fauna in the Shey Phoksundo National Park.