The Upper Mustang Trek is all about exploring the hidden world of the ancient Buddhist kingdom of Mustang. It can’t get much more remote.
The Upper Mustang Trek is all about exploring the hidden world of the ancient Buddhist kingdom of Mustang. It can’t get much more remote. Due to its inaccessibility, Mustang has long been protected from mass tourism and is now known as the last bastion of traditional Tibetan culture.
Trekking the Upper Mustang is one of the most fascinating places in the Himalayas, due to a long, rich and complex history.
Upper Mustang was opened to non-Nepali trekkers only some fifteen years ago and even today the area is very restricted. To enter Upper Mustang, trekkers need a different trekking permit and should be accompanied by a certified guide. The Upper Mustang is unique in every form.
- The Upper Mustang hike, also known as Lo-Mantang, takes you into the secret realm of Mustang’s historic Buddhist monarchy.
- Explore the Himalayan rain shadow region and a dry zone akin to the Tibetan Plateau.
- Experience the one-of-a-kindness of rocky pathways, Mysteries Sky Caves, and a treeless environment.
- Beautiful Monasteries; Luri Gompa, Ghar Gompa, and many others were erected in the 15th century.
- The Tiji Festival is a worldwide prayer for peace.